Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Raising Hope

Hello friends.....to my dismay it appears I have been rather behind on my post's on here. ahh where to begin?

I have kept up with my running. I am training very aggressively for my first 50k which I am registered for in January. This one I have already signed the papers on...no waiting list. I cannot wait I know it will be a great experience.

I saw this poster by Barry Sanders...It sparked my imagination to try something new!

I Applied to Fully Fundraise my 2nd marathon. I would support the American Cancer Society. You ask why?
When I was just four years old, I spent many nights in and out of A.I. DuPont hospital at my big brother’s side. He had been diagnosed with Leukemia at a very young age, and we battled many years of ups and downs. We experienced different laughs and different struggles. I watched my brother Neil, at such a young age, FIGHT for his life against a circumstance he had no control over. Neil has been in remission for several years now and claims it to be a sheer VICTORY. Through extensive help and support from charities like the American Cancer Society, he was able to regain a healthy life. He has a truly amazing wife now and even a little baby, Xavier. This charity has a very special place in my heart. Just as I saw my brother go through these obstacles and WIN, I want to give as many children as possible the same opportunity.

This greatly affected my entire week last week. I didn't do any elaborate promotion. I simply sent a few messages via email, and spoke with a few people in person. However, what I did do, something I was taught quite sometime ago, was thank each individual person through a personalized email and a shout-out on FB. I had a few people who supported the cause even say, I just wanted to hear someone like yourself speak such kind words about me. I love it!

In just 7 days this happened!


We ARE changing the course of cancer!
Through all the help and support of the people you see in the scrolling banner below, we have been able to donate $1,000.00 to the FIGHT against cancer. Friends, I never could have raised this money alone. I consider it a sheer VICTORY in the race for the cure. We aren’t done yet; in support of all your contributions, I will be running 26.2 miles for the cause. I know… Can you believe it? Who would run all that distance?! It is a tremendous blessing that I can showcase my athleticism for OUR support to such a fantastic charity. As I continue training in the weeks to come, you will all hold a special place in my heart. When I toe the line on November 17th, showcased on the front of my jersey will be the names of the people who have/are FIGHTING cancer, and displayed on the back will be YOUR names: the army of volunteers that are FIGHTING alongside people like my brother.
Look for pictures on November 17th, and thanks for volunteering to FIGHT!

I cannot express how deeply moved I am at this feat. None of which is on my accord. I would have done none of this without the support of so many people. I just want everyone who is reading this to know YOU INSPIRE ME TO WIN. 

I'll be back and forth with different running updates, statistics and that nonsense we fill space with, but this.....this is something GOOD happening in the world.

FIGHT on!

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment